View Single Post
Old 04-04-2011, 03:46 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Beanogirl,

Welcome to the forum! I've had epilepsy for 39 yrs. I started out having absence (petit mal seizures) when I was 10 yrs. old and then I began having complex partial and simple partial sz. by the age of 12. One big thing that can trigger sz. is stress, lack of sleep, and hormones changing. Sometimes when a woman is pregnant she might stop having sz. but there are other times when the sz. will increase. You are playing it smart by getting a calendar and writing down what time you have any sz. along with a discription of the sz. My Epileptologist (Dr. specializing in epilepsy) told me to do this and they could see a pattern in my sz. and found out that I was having sz. certain times of the day and certain days of the month. Taking vitamin B12 once a day will be a big help for you. Also take note if you have any sz. when there's a low pressure in the weather sometimes a low pressure will trigger sz. for some people.
You will have to have an e.e.g., CT scan, MRI, and possibly and SPECT or PET scan done. Stay away from anything with nutrasweet (aspartame) in it because it has been proven to trigger sz. Also stay off the cell phone because many times the frequency that a cell phone is in will trigger sz. for people who are cell phone sensitive.
One thing that they have found out is that certain color food dyes will trigger sz. for some people the food dyes red, yellow and blue and the worst ones red causes cancer also and the yellow can trigger sz.
The best thing for you to do is to go to an Epilepsy Center which are usually at University Hospitals and see an Epileptologist I've gotten the most help from them and had to take the least amount of meds. To find out what med to take as the Dr. to do a DNA test on you and from that they will be able to find what seizure med will work the best for you with the least side effects. In regards to driving each state law is different. I know in NY a person has to go 1 yr. without a sz. and have a Drs. written statement saying you are sz. free and it's safe to drive. Here's wishing you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue
Porkette is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote