Thread: TENS Unit
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2011, 10:48 AM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchfri1003 View Post
Signed the paperwork at the OSS for the TENS unit. Called and stopped by the office since I was in the area. Hope it helps. Still no PT approved. Arguing with insurance. Such a joy.
Hmmm... They should, at the very least, have given you one orientation session with a PT to explain the TENS unit and how to use it safely & effectively. I have one, and it's come in handy for some things. Finding the correct location for the 'trodes, and then the correct setting, are both critical variables to efficacy. It may take some considerable time & experimentation. Be patient, try to figure out a logical procedure, and stick with it.

Since learning Myofascial techniques, we probably use them more often than the TENS, but still glad I've got it for the tough cases. For spasms, I was taught to use the zapping settings - they're supposed to jolt the spasming muscle until it gives up and relaxes (and you really know when that happens). I use the buzzing settings for burning/constant pain.

Others may vary.

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
bunz50 (04-06-2011)