View Single Post
Old 04-05-2011, 04:54 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default the hip

as it turns out , they did not need material from my hip at all . the pieces of broken vertebrae were sufficient i guess . doc's explanation of severe hip pain was that ....as required certain nerve roots are detatched so they dont get pulled when they decompress with the titanium . that can lend itself to waking up nerves and maybe killing others . i got the feeling they really dont know y my hip hurts so badly . it was just a generic answer that they give every1 . i am walking mostly now without the walker , but use the cane later in the day as the pain increases due to my being vertical now . my doc did tell me that the large area at my hip along the side could be a permanent problem ....spots that feel like a very bad bruise if slightly touched and numb areas . I am ok with that as long as the rest of the pain goes away . i still recommend epsom salt bath soaks 1-2 hrs . i think the buoyancy of the body , allows enough opposition to gravity's affects , if i had a hot tub i'd b n it every day ..lol oh yeah...if you cough , sneeze , or laugh . try to bend to a half fetal position , doing so seems to prevent the spasms for me anyway . I sneezed once when i layed flat n bed (after feeling great all day ) and the pain in my hip brought me to tears ...which takes a lot of pain for me to have tears ! so i keep a body pillow under my knees ...just n case . hope your hubby is doing better .
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbycakes View Post
Dear bak2bak,

I have not had spine surgery but my husband has had 3 the last just 2/25/11. When he had his first lumbar l4-l5 in 2003 they did take bone from the hip and inserted a bone stimulator in the hip area and like you that was the worst pain. Do you have a bone stimulator in the hip area? In 2006 in went to a different doctor because the surgery from 2003 was not working well. In 2006 when he had the complete revision everything removed and all new put in and they took out that bone stimulator that gave him such problems. Once they took out that bone stimulator in 2006 he had great relieve but he still says to this day it's still tender to the touch around that hip area. In 2006 and 2011 they used cadaver bone instead of taking from the hip.

You sound like your doing great. I'll tell you the same thing I tell my husband "do what you can don't push it". My husbands second lumbar was a great success and miracle he really suffered prior. Hope you continue to recovery so well.

Gabbycakes
bak2bak is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
tamiloo (05-23-2011)