View Single Post
Old 04-06-2011, 03:19 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I'm so happy I found this thread!

I'm 2 months post-concussion. I was knocked unconscious for 4 minutes playing soccer and was nauseous afterwards. I went to the ER right away and was sent home. After 2 weeks of missed work, fogginess, anxiety and just not being me, i ended up ata rehabilitation centre with a doctor that specializes in concussion. The best things I took away were:
1) I needed to accept what happened and accept recovery was going to be 3 months minimum and longer if I push myself.
2) I couldn't "play through" it. I had to decrease every activity in my life (work, chores, sex, socializing, tv, reading, etc) by 50% and add back slowly. It was my brain. I've made a good career off of it and am quite fond of it, so it deserved for me to put ambition and self inflicted deadlines on hold until it was healthy.
3) rest means REST. sit in a quiet, dark room with no tv, no books, no people, nothing and just sit (this was the hardest!). I found my recovery sped up by leaps and bound when I did this each day.
4) diet and booze drugs were major players. All natural, lean meat, lots of fruit and veggies and LOTS of water took my anxiety away and drinking made it come back. If you want to feel sane, feed your brain good stuff while it's recovering.

All of these things have helped me a lot. And instead of focusing on what I can't do, each Friday I celebrate what I got back. One new curve ball is I went from being super groggy and sleeping 9-12 hours a night to not being able to sleep on the 2 month anniversary of my concussion. Not sure how to help that new symptom.

Finally, I know these are tall orders for 90% of People out there. I used to play on 3 sports teams, work out 4 times a week, work at my job for 60 hours a week and still find time to volunteer and be a socialite. Now I work 3/4 time, don't really work out and spend my nights in dark quiet rooms. Bottom line, it sucks. Concussions suck and the recovery is took everything I love to do away from me. But it happened, it's here and (as my lovely fiancé has told me) you just gotta buck up and be disciplined in your recovery so getting "me" back will be quicker. You can't change it, so deal with recovery and your limitations head on (pardon the irony).

Best of luck and thanks for letting me know I'm not alone out here.
Ayb83 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
SkiConcussion (04-19-2011), thorx89 (11-30-2014)