View Single Post
Old 04-06-2011, 07:59 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmie View Post
Thanks for sharing your story, Moxie!

Live in CA, but have family I can stay with in MA, so if Dr. Donahue is so wonderful maybe I'll try to get in with him.

According to the doc I saw today, I have arterial, venous, & neurogenic TOS. I'd previously been diagnosed as just venous and neurogenic (I've had it for 10 years), but he said it's definitely arterial as well -- he showed us how my pulse stops and my veins pop up in certain positions. Apparently the only question is whether the level of compression and the pain/quality of life problems I have warrant surgery.

How long did it take to get on his surgery schedule? How long to get in for the initial consult?
Emma - My initial consult with Dr. D was by phone. Since I live in DC I wanted to chat with him first before heading up there for a consult (driving 8 hours used to be excrutiating) - he called me 2 days later and talked to me for an hour - did a lot of listening and then asked me to mail any records I had for his review. The same day he recieved my records he called me to discuss my case. He thought my case clearly pointed towards surgical intervention (especially with the venogram showing obvious venous occlusion) and suggested we meet in person. His assitant, Pat, followed up with me to schedule a consult at a time that worked for me to travel to Boston, and I was in his office within a month- could have scheduled surgery sooner than when I did, but I needed more time to think about it. What I like the most about Dr.D is that he is conservative and honest about surgical intervention. I believe 100% that he would not have recommended surgery unless he thought it would benefit me and my quality of life - did NOT get this feeling from the 4 other surgeons I saw. If you truly do have a venous or arterial compression than he is def. qualified to give you his opinion. This is a life-changing condition and surgery and I would not have gone through surgical intervention if I didn't have a surgeon with the expertise, experience, and professionalism that Dr. D posesses.
Moxie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote