View Single Post
Old 04-07-2011, 08:53 AM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default A problem for Laura and I but no one else?

This potassium shift problem is going to render worthless anything I report in-so-far as the rest of us are concerned. If anyone else is testing this, any data would be particularly valuable.

Laura-
I noticed improvement the first day but I have not had another as good. I'll take a guess at what is going on, though- One of the claims for Qu is that it helps with insulin resistance. Anything that increases the flow of glucose from blood to cell may very well do the same with potassium, thus leading to our problem. Things that buffer insulin release (such as an egg for breakfast or "grazing" instead of having a meal) act to smooth things out.

Also, there is what is called "the dawn phenomenon". During the night, glucose and insulin both drop. Along about 6:00 AM and until 9 AM or so, our liver starts rebuilding the glucose levels in the blood and the pancreas starts upping the insulin to move that glucose into the cells. As a result of this our systems differ from morning to night and what works in morning behaves differently in evening.

Right now, I am taking the Qu at dinner and it has resulted in a much longer and improved evening for me. But if I try to start the day with it, then I'm shot for the morning. So I'm trying to get that sorted out. Two things- exercise timing should have a big impact and adrenaline as well. The former positively and the latter negatively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conductor71 View Post
Two things:

How long did it take for you to benefit from increased "on time"? I seemed to get maybe a half hour longer from sinemet. I was hoping it might be that I just needed to have it in my system for a couple weeks. All they had at local health food place was 500 mg which I took once daily for a week. Was disappointed in results and left it alone. This week, I have had return of the paralytic weakness...on a less epic scale. I'll have a dose period where meds do not work and the weakness/can't walk bit dominates. It seems to always be the second dose of the morning no matter what actual time it is- this tells me it has to be potassium-insulin related. Usually eating something around same time helps; I can even have an egg and it seems to help. I have also noted that noshing on a banana keeps me smoother with meds over all. Beyond that, I really on Rick to figure out all the details :-)

Thing 2:

Prior to this week of weakness, I had two weeks of feeling really well. Very fluid forget I have PD kinda days (taking pills is like breathing now so not a big disruption. Those weeks I started curcumin and ensuring my blood sugar did not drop with a banana and crackers to keep me fueled at work.

I was shooting for the moon in trying to extend my on time but wanting it all fluid quality time. Looks like I can't have both :-( Rick, if you figure out the secret to this, please pm me.

Laura
Currently (2011) taking 200/50 Sinemet CR 8 times a day + 10/100 Sinemet 3 times a day. Functional 90% of waking day but fragile. Failure at exercise but still trying. Constantly experimenting. Beta blocker and ACE inhibitor at present. Currently (01/2013) taking ldopa/carbadopa 200/50 CR six times a day + 10/100 form 3 times daily. Functional 90% of day. Update 04/2013: L/C 200/50 8x; Beta Blocker; ACE Inhib; Ginger; Turmeric; Creatine; Magnesium; Potassium. Doing well.
reverett123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Conductor71 (04-07-2011)