View Single Post
Old 04-09-2011, 03:28 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Alright-

Abby, I started plasmapheresis before I had my thymectomy to make me strong enough for surgery. They first thought they were going to have to do with it with a port, (you cannot do with w a picc line) a port is much more of a process, and you cannot go home with a port, you have to stay in the hospital.

They will put an IV in one anticub of your arm, and then in the other as Im sure youve heard of. The plasmapheresis for me was a temporary fix when i was in a crisis mode- they would admit me to the hospital because of my breathing, and then start plex the next day or that day depending on the weakness. The max time it lasted me was 2 1/2 weeks, and that was the best one. I think IVIG in general will last longer than the plex...but thats my opinion and from my knowledge.

If you have good veins, (and trust me they avoid putting a port in at all costs) then they will just use your peripheral viens every time. They are trained at getting even the worst of veins to work, so even if they are worn out they should be able to get some type of access without a port, staying in the hospital that long, is no fun..

So my overall view: plasmapheresis is more for a crisis type thing, and I would save it, if you can because IVIG takes longer to work....

IVIG is more of a stable type of medicine that keeps you going if you are feeling somewhat well..

If this comes across as confusing, Im sorry, didnt mean it to. Please tell me to clarify things if you need them to be.

(Ive had plex~60 times, and ivig monthly since september 09.
tysondouglass is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Stellatum (04-09-2011)