View Single Post
Old 04-09-2011, 08:10 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Grin MVD 2 Year Anniversary

April 6,2011 marks my two year anniversary since my MVD surgery. I felt compelled to share my success story with those who are questioning whether or not to have the procedure performed.

I am still off all meds and experience no pain.

I still have an occasional feeling of a cob web being dragged across the left side of my face. I know that sounds weird, but if you have ever walked into a cob web, then you know the exact feeling.

I have an occasional buzzing in my left ear that only lasts for a few seconds.

The numb area on the left side of my chin, cheekbone, and behind my left ear have all gone away. The indentation in the bone on my scalp has not gotten any better or worse. It is still tender to the touch some days when I have slept wrong. Sometimes the area is sore if I have worn sunglasses for an extended period of time.

I have ridden many rollercoasters with no issues. I have taken many airline flights with no issues. Admittedly, I was nervous the first time flying after my surgery. I still avoid being overly cold and avoid over exposure of sun to the scar area as I am bald and shave my head on a regular basis. When I grow my hair out even a quarter of an inch, the scar is nearly undetectable.

In general, my day-to-day life is back to normal. I am always aware of extremely good fortune in having a competent neurosurgeon who changed the course of my life with the 3 hour surgery.

Trigeminal Neuralgia has lasting emotional effects on a person as anyone reading this post likely has experienced long bouts of excruciating pain. I can only say to thoroughly research your surgeon’s history of performing MVD operations to ensure his skill level and experience are legitimate. I worked with Dr. Christopher Duma based at Hoag Hospital here in Newport Beach, CA. I would recommend him for anyone afflicted with TN or any brain or spine issues.

I hope this information is helpful. May God continue to bless us all as we endure the effects of TN.

I will gladly answer any questions or replies.

Todd
thedspeth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Burntmarshmallow (04-10-2011), EE03 (04-10-2011), sadie324 (04-09-2011)