View Single Post
Old 04-10-2011, 02:06 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cblue View Post
Can we use a small percentage of my 2 son's backpay toward a used car? Ours has met the dust, but not quite bitten it yet. We would like to buy a used one from my sister. It would be less we'd have to use from our mortgage fund (my husband isn't working). It is a really good deal.
I am thinking I can't do that....any thoughts?
All comments are welcome.
Dear Cblue,

When you receive backpay from a disability claim have it be for yourself or your children you can use it for what ever you like. The logic is you spend money on your children all the time you waited to get approved so now they are paying you back because you successfully where granted a "fully favorable decision" with a onset date which could be 1,2 or 3 years demending on the individuals claim is processed. My backpay went all the way from 2004 to 2010. So you could imagine the dollars that they owed me and owed for my children. The reason it took so long it because I did not file until 2009 because I thought I would be able to go back to work FT but was not able. My accident was in 2003. Also, if you still have minor children attending full time school you also get a check every month for said child until there 18 or graduate HS. I received back pay for both of my children but only still get a monthly check for my daughter who is 16, but I did get backpay for my son because he was a minor during the years my claim was set up for, but I don't get a monthly check for him because he is 20 and in college,so he's done. I had a great case worker at the social security office locally and she really made me aware of all the benefits I was entitled to.

I hope this helped.

Gabbycakes
gabbycakes is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote