View Single Post
Old 04-11-2011, 02:50 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 184jones View Post
I have just had surgery for rib resection and scalenectomy on the right side 7 weeks ago due to critical compression of the artery but when they did the MRI angiogram there was also a narrowing of the left side.

Has anyone else got bilateral arterial TOS and if so were they able to avoid surgery on the other side? I had a surgeon say its just a mater of time and I may need the other side done in the next 5 years. Is there anything I can do to improve the left side and is there things that will make it worse?
Yes I have bilateral arterial (and venous and neurogenic), and so far have avoided major surgery. I'm about to repeat CT-guided procedures where they inject a bunch of anesthetic into the scalene to try to blow up the muscle like a balloon, followed by Botox to shrink the muscle. I also rely on PT and meds, and Botox injections into other spastic muscles.

I may well have the surgeries, but those are some of the non-surgical strategies I've been using.

I think over-exertion, and bad ergonomics or body mechanics will make TOS worse, and anything that gives a whiplash-like effect. Anything that tenses the scalenes.

How is your surgical outcome so far? I haven't been able to use my arms unsupported above chest level for 10 years. I would love to get a real decompression in there. But I'm on the fence about surgery...

Can you tell me about your angiogram? I'm supposed to have one. (Also venograms.)
Emmie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
(Broken Wings) (04-11-2011)