View Single Post
Old 04-11-2011, 04:14 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Could I have permanent brain damage?

Hi,

I'm 17 years old. I am sort of a hypochondriac, so I can't stop thinking about this issue:

I come from a Korean-American family where slapping kids on the head as a disciplinary action is very common. I would estimate this started at the age of 4, and since then I have probably been slapped on the head at least 200 times. It is a moderate slap-- Enough to cause the head to throb for about ten seconds but not involving loss of consciousness or long-lasting migraines.

Is it possible that, cumulatively, I am less intelligent than I would have been? In the third grade, I had a neurologist measure my IQ as 142, but I don't feel as if I am at that level anymore. Could all of these slaps over time have lowered my IQ?

Also, in the sixth grade, I suffered a concussion while skiing that had my unconscious for about five minutes. The CAT scan showed no problems and the doctors said I was fine, but I don't believe them. How could anyone be the same after a concussion?

I don't feel any different than before and I recovered completely within a week of my concussion-- But it just seems unbelievable that I would be completely fine.
CandyCanes is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote