View Single Post
Old 04-11-2011, 09:43 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Candycanes,

I hate to be one to support your hypochondria but your worries are correct. But,,,,, I would not worry to much until you have finished growing up. Your brain will continue to mature until you are about 25 years old.

My greatest concern for you is the head slaps. They are likely sub-concussive impacts. They can have a cumulative effect. It can take years to show symptoms.

You have two options. Worry about it.
Or,,, Do something about it.

I suggest the latter.
Get started on good brain nutrition. There are plenty of posts on this forum about nutrition and vitamins. Do a search and you will find them. Purpose to avoid any further head impacts of any severity. No soccer ball heading. No contact sports. No martial arts sparing with contact.

Your brain is at an age where it can still improve. There are online and for purchase software programs that hep you keep your brain exercised. Posit science and Lumosity are the popular ones.

Your IQ is the last brain characteristic impacted in many cases. It allows many to overcome many of the Post Concussion Syndrome symptoms.

My IQ is at a similar level but my processing speed and memory functions are severely reduced. The symptom that takes the most effort is the tendency for outbursts of anger, etc. There are choices you can make to learn to control this symptom. This skill will be a life changer as you learn it.

Over time, you may have symptoms that become evident. Don;'t worry about them. Instead, learn the work-arounds and other accommodations that allow many to overcome them. A full life is possible.

Let us know about any symptoms you need to work on.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dmom3005 (04-21-2011), Tralee (06-02-2011)