View Single Post
Old 04-11-2011, 03:54 PM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default yes there is and why isn't it used?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickvalo View Post
Hello everyone! This is my first post, so I wanted to quickly send a BIG THANK YOU to all of the regulars on this forum. My Mom has Parkinson's and I've been immersing myself with information about the condition. Reading your personal experiences has been the most valuable source of information!!

After reading quite a bit about PD, there seems to be credibility to the idea that it may not just be a lack of dopamine that results in PD, but also imbalances in other neurotransmitters like norepinephrine and maybe others. It also seems like it's possible that carbidopa, as a general decarboxylase agent, may also inhibit the synthesis of tryptophan to seratonin ... leading to or contributing to depression. My Mom, like many other PWP, also suffers from depression and is on an SSRI to increase seratonin levels ... again showing that more than just dopamine is in play in this complicated condition (whether it's directly or indirectly related to PD or carbidopa).

Being new to the PD world and coming from an engineering/troubleshooting background, I was surprised that my Mom's neuro made no effort to actually measure my Mom's neurotransmitter levels and has taken a very myopic view of just using sinemet to increase dopamine levels. There is no analysis to see what else may be off balance that is contributing to the root cause of her PD ... or off balance because of the sinemet/carbidopa.

All this is just background to my real question ...

Do any of you have experience with a treatment plan that includes getting periodic blood platelet measurements of your catecholemine levels? It seems like a good idea to get a measure on the various neurotransmitter levels and treat accordingly in an effort to bring a balance ... and to make sure that certain neurotransmitters are not being depleted by her current therapy (e.g., carbidopa) over time. One example could be that if we find that her norepinephrine levels are low, maybe an antidepressive medication that works on both serotonin and norepinephrine may be a better option verus an SSRI. Another example could be that if we try a more natural approach like l-tyrosine or mucuna instead of sinemet, how does that affect her neurotransmitter levels. If we have measurements over time (e.g, every 6 months), we can track changes and make adjustments as necessary.

Any thoughts, feedback, criticism, experience with this approach?

THANK YOU in advance!
Neurotransitter imbalance is responsible for many things, even suspected in ADHD: they just found that multiple sclerosis patients lack norepinephrine. PD patients lack norepinephrine at autopsy as well as dopamine. Our adetylcholine is high when our dopamine is low. IMO it is acetylcholine and glutamate are all major players and highly toxic. Too much of them is why we overfire and we lack gabba. which is responaible for putting on the 'brakes". Serotonin is involed with mental functioning. Dopamine is a precursor to norepinephrine.

So you are on the mark at what you are reading. I have no clue why they do not test for them all. maybe the tests are new. Every pd patient should be tested for this before they start meds. And also for vitamin D.

You are astute and a fast learner. Be sure to let us know what you learn. That's how we do it, but reporting to each other . it is dangerous, for example to assume that a pwp can benefit from Alzheimers meds. especially the youger ones just to improve their memory or focus. THis results in a toxic build up that can paralyze a person.'

Here's a link and please add anything new you can find. I'm requesting to be tested for them at the end of this month - if you find anything else out please let me know.

Your mother is most fortunate to have a problem solver for a son.

http://www.integrativepsychiatry.net...ter_tests.html

sincerely

"Time is not neutral for those who have pd or for those who will get it."
paula_w is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
imark3000 (04-13-2011)