View Single Post
Old 04-11-2011, 08:28 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi there - Thanks for your message. I have had an extensive work up for Sjogren's. I first was diagnosed with it by a doc at Harvard Medical Center in 2002 based on signs and symptoms. I had failed the Schirmer's test, but all other tests were normal. Just this past summer, I went to the Sjogren's Syndrome Center at National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, MD. They did a lip biopsy, which showed inflammation, but not the exact markers for sjogren's as I understand it. They also did a saliva test (both provoked and unprovoked). I was able to make saliva when provoked. I also had an eye exam. I produced plenty of tears on the Schirmer's test so I didn't meet the eye criteria.

They have a strict criteria (I think it is called the American European Protocol??) for diagnosing Sjogren's and I did not meet the criteria. You are right that you can be seronegative and still meet the criteria. I am seronegative, but I also failed to meet the other criteria so they said that, for now, they cannot diagnose me with Sjogren's. They said that doesn't mean I won't meet the criteria later. I just don't now. They said there is a correlation between Sjogren's and Autonomic Nervous System dysfunction, but they just don't understand it completely yet.

I have not yet had a skin biopsy/muscle biopsy for the neuropathy, but I plan to pursue that next. I have found a neurologist willing to do it, but he wants to do some MRI scans first. I think he should just go straight to the skin biopsy. I don't think the MRIs are going to show anything. They didn't 13 years ago when I first had the neuro work up.

I'm curious. What type of doctor did your skin biopsy? Was it a surgeon or another specialty? As I understand it, they do a punch biopsy, but how deep is it? I want someone who is experienced in this to do it.

Also, I have read about some tests they do for autonomic nervous system, but I don't know all of them. Can you enlighten me on this? I don't know my way around this site very well yet so any help you can give is appreciated.

Thank you again for replying to my post.
axseptants is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
en bloc (04-12-2011)