View Single Post
Old 03-03-2007, 08:00 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Hello I am new too!

Dear Rob,

Hello and welcome to this forum. I, like you, am new to all of this, I made my first post yesterday. I absolutely agree that this forum is excellent. I too had been reading the posts here before I plucked up the courage to post myself.

I am by no means an expert on PN and I am still waiting for a firm diagnosis (I see a consultant neurologist on Monday) but I absolutely understand what you are going through. My nightmare with all this also started 3 months ago! So far all my blood tests have be “normal” but I am still waiting for the B12 result, but like you I have started to take B12 supplements. I have had a nerve conduction test (normal) but no other tests apart from blood tests.

I think the worse thing is not knowing, so it is good that you have the EMG test coming up so soon, although I know if you are anything like me it will be a difficult and worrying time until you get the results. I understand from Melody on this forum that this is a pretty conclusive test for PN. I hope that the neurologist I see will do one, I will certainly ask for one to be done. I live in the UK and it takes ages to get tests done because our national health service is strapped fro cash, but I hope it won't be too long.

I have a lot of pain in my feet and this is spreading to my hands, I get aching stabbing pains and pins and needles in my legs. This has all be very traumatic as I was a fit health 51 year old woman 3 months ago with a passion for hiking and backpacking so the fact I if I walk for more that 15 mins I am in agony is very upsetting well lets be honest its is devastating! I have be unable to work since mid Jan partly because of the pain but also because of the anxiety and depression, in fact it all happened so suddenly I think I was in shock for quite a while. When things like this happen “out of the blue” is is quite normal be be worried. My GP has given me Trazodone and Tramadol. The Trazodone is an anti depressant ( I think nortriptyline is one as well). The Trazodone does nothing for the pain (or my anxiety) the Tramadol just takes the edge of the pain. If you are in pain make sure you ask for some decent pain relief – something that works. For what I can gather getting the right medication seems to be about trial and error so don't worry if what you have been prescribed does not work, something will!

This is a worrying time but I hope you yet some positive news following the EMG, let us know how you get on. I will be thinking of you.
Lupin is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote