View Single Post
Old 04-11-2011, 09:42 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Thumbs up Two signs of a charlatan

Quote:
Originally Posted by made it up View Post
Muireann,
He's a known charlatan here in Australia and INMO a complete wanker who tries to rip PWP with his pathway recovery from PD. Fortunately with little success here.
The parkinsons association and community here have been complaining about his ludicrous claims for many years now.
Previously he claims to have recovered from not just PD but a Parkinsons Plus syndrome which makes it even more untruthful.
I'm not having a go at you Muireann I'm just very annoyed that he has the gall to tell us like it's fact and vulnerable people newly diagnosed or those further down the track might stop taking the levodopa their MDS recommends or prescribes which would otherwise give them a greater degree of relief from the rigidity and bradykinesia they would otherwise suffer with.
Apologies for offending anyone who took much notice of him but on behalf of many parkies here I find this man "deeply offensive."
Without making a judgement on Mr Coleman go to research done on charlatans. When studied, most people who sell unproven methods rely on the placebo effect which shows a 60% effectiveness, ie, 60% of those who believe it will work receive some positive effect.

Charlatans have two common qualities stated or implied in their information regarding claims of results in the face of incurable diseases:
1. They claim they can completely cure you
2. They claim that something in your attitude or way of dealing with the world has helped cause the disease in you.

#1 takes advantage of your deep rooted desire to turn back the clock
#2 very sneaky, almost hypnotically suggests you to open up further, which will increase your tendency to succumb to the placebo effect. This also allows them to eschew the 40% of believers who get no result because of some defect in their attitude or manner of dealing with the world...

Ask yourself these questions about Mr. Coleman. I just don't have enough knowledge about what he's doing or what he's claiming to accurately comment. The answers can usually be found in the claims being made. A third claim, less common than 1 or 2 would be if he were to say or imply that PD is not a real disease. Again, I don't know enough about his claims so I cannot comment.

Search "quack"** for more on detecting quacks.
dopadoc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Conductor71 (04-11-2011), soccertese (04-12-2011)