View Single Post
Old 04-12-2011, 08:09 AM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default It is a slow morning.

Otherwise I wouldn't get into this (again), but it isn't that simple with PD. Starting with Mr. Coleman - I, too, know little about him other than the fact that he seems to give people hope and actively engages them in their care. Contrasted to what we are offered by Big Pharma, one has to wonder which yields the better quality of life.

"Without making a judgement"..."go to research done on charlatans" is about the slickest use/abuse of rational discussion I have seen in a while. Ranks up there with "Is he still beating his wife?"

The placebo effect is not to be dismissed, particularly in the case of PWP who exhibit it at roughly twice the rate of the general population. (BTW, is there any truth to the act that "placebo" is Latin for "don't know"?

Think about this a minute. An incurable, degenerative disorder with very limited treatment options. Researcher rushes in to boss's office. "I've demonstrated a 60% success rate with zero problems and minimum cost!"....

Big Pharma takes about $10,000 from me each year and cures nothing while making me totally dependent on their product. How does Mr. Coleman compare, I wonder?

But enough of that. Been here and done it. I am more interested in "dopadoc" and would like to welcome him/her to the forum, especially if, a the name implies, he is a neuro. There is much for us to discuss.

-Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopadoc View Post
Without making a judgement on Mr Coleman go to research done on charlatans. When studied, most people who sell unproven methods rely on the placebo effect which shows a 60% effectiveness, ie, 60% of those who believe it will work receive some positive effect.

Charlatans have two common qualities stated or implied in their information regarding claims of results in the face of incurable diseases:
1. They claim they can completely cure you
2. They claim that something in your attitude or way of dealing with the world has helped cause the disease in you.

#1 takes advantage of your deep rooted desire to turn back the clock
#2 very sneaky, almost hypnotically suggests you to open up further, which will increase your tendency to succumb to the placebo effect. This also allows them to eschew the 40% of believers who get no result because of some defect in their attitude or manner of dealing with the world...

Ask yourself these questions about Mr. Coleman. I just don't have enough knowledge about what he's doing or what he's claiming to accurately comment. The answers can usually be found in the claims being made. A third claim, less common than 1 or 2 would be if he were to say or imply that PD is not a real disease. Again, I don't know enough about his claims so I cannot comment.

Search "quack"** for more on detecting quacks.
Currently (2011) taking 200/50 Sinemet CR 8 times a day + 10/100 Sinemet 3 times a day. Functional 90% of waking day but fragile. Failure at exercise but still trying. Constantly experimenting. Beta blocker and ACE inhibitor at present. Currently (01/2013) taking ldopa/carbadopa 200/50 CR six times a day + 10/100 form 3 times daily. Functional 90% of day. Update 04/2013: L/C 200/50 8x; Beta Blocker; ACE Inhib; Ginger; Turmeric; Creatine; Magnesium; Potassium. Doing well.
reverett123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
EmptyNest68 (04-12-2011)