View Single Post
Old 04-12-2011, 09:52 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default cell stem cell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conductor71 View Post
Madelyn,

It's true there is no really good animal model. Further, I remember learning that my cousin's dog came down with Addison's disease, and we know pets get cancer or can be epileptic. Animals can have an essential tremor, but I have yet to hear of them developing PD? If environment is a player wouldn't it be resulting in PD in them as well. Even when they induce lab animals for PD research there is no degenerative process that takes hold, I think, or may be someone knows differently.

I didn't mean to come down so hard, I just don't get where the therapeutics come in. I'll have to see if I can find the original article. I think the write up of the study is ambiguous.

http://www.cell.com/cell-stem-cell/r...3459091100052X
I believe this is a link to the published study

from the study itself... this is the summary written by the authors of the study

Summary

Appropriate termination of regenerative processes is critical for producing the correct number of cells in tissues. Here we provide evidence for an end-product inhibition of dopamine neuron regeneration that is mediated by dopamine. Ablation of midbrain dopamine neurons leads to complete regeneration in salamanders. Regeneration involves extensive neurogenesis and requires activation of quiescent ependymoglia cells, which express dopamine receptors. Pharmacological compensation for dopamine loss by L-dopa inhibits ependymoglia proliferation and regeneration in a dopamine receptor-signaling-dependent manner, specifically after ablation of dopamine neurons. Systemic administration of the dopamine receptor antagonist haloperidol alone causes ependymoglia proliferation and the appearance of excessive number of neurons. Our data show that stem cell quiescence is under dopamine control and provide a model for termination once normal homeostasis is restored. The findings establish a role for dopamine in the reversible suppression of neurogenesis in the midbrain and have implications for regenerative strategies in Parkinson's disease.