View Single Post
Old 04-12-2011, 07:23 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thanks mrsD for all the insights. You are a wonderful and very welcome resource. I’ll want to get back to you on some of those items, but here are some immediate thoughts...

That was the first time I’d seen CRP reported on my labs, and I must say that, after some research, I was quite frightened by that number. I took the CRP/sweats issues to my neuro – wondering which came first, the inflammation or the neuropathy - but he referred me back to my primary. That doc showed some concern (my EGD showed mild chronic gastritis – he thought that could be the problem) but focused on my PN pain and set up a trial of Cymbalta (which was awful). So next I’ll add the grape seed extract – thanks. Doc says we’ll recheck CRP over a few weeks time.

I started this morning with 5 mg mB12 orally on an empty stomach – will maintain that daily. The other blog (B12 deficiency) strongly advocates sublingual – says B12 diffuses into the tissue creating a gradient against the blood cells, where it is directly absorbed (more efficiently than oral or even injection). I hold the tablet between my upper lip and gum for 45-60 mins, 3x/day. I’ll continue with both methods for now.

When I first began mB12 supplementation last fall, I experienced some of the startup symptoms predicted on the other blog. They claim that these reactions are a very good predictor of active B12 deficiency - that folks with no deficiency will not react when given even very large doses of active B12. One such reaction that I experienced was persistent (several days, non-stop) muscle fascillations. They surmise these may be caused by rapid depletion (use) of potassium as the healing process begins. I took the K supplements directly and the fascillation ceased and so I added potassium to my daily supplement program.

Some troubling neurological symptoms did recede after I started the B12 protocol. But others persist, and now seem to be worsening. I'm still suspicious that some level of deficiency had a hand in my problems. Even so, it sounds like correcting any deficiency (or the damage it created) can take months, even years of steady assault and that symptoms wax and wane over the course of healing.

And, yes, I am using magnesium oxide. Can you suggest a better form? I am now starting a program with Nortriptyline, which last time gave me constipation, so I'll want an effective magnesium supplement on board to help with that.
svguy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote