Thread: Diabetic
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2011, 09:48 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Metformin does not often cause low blood sugars.

But it DOES deplete B12....in about 40% of patients.

It can also cause acidosis... and my doctor insists on regular kidney tests when I or another of her patients is on it.
A renal panel will show an anion gap or other warnings of kidney function loss. Metformin can build up in the system if the kidneys do not work correctly and the acidosis is more serious then.

If you have insurance, get a glucometer and strips and start doing
fasting glucose in the morning
one reading about 1.5 hrs after breakfast
after lunch
dinner
one reading before bed (to see if you need a snack).
And if your morning fastings are high, do a reading at 1am or so and see what it is then. High mornings can be dawn phenomenon and a reaction to lows during sleep.

Without a 2 week record of your daily cycle, you don't really know what you have! You also need a blood test called HbA1C, to see if you are in the normal range for that still.
I have a handy chart for those readings so when you get that one, you can PM me or post it.

Many type II diabetics respond well to eliminating sugar and most starches. I eat a very high protein, moderate fat (good fats only) and slow carbs (veggies and beans) diet.

You really have to do this, to feel better, and avoid damage to your body from the sugars.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote