Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Welcome to NeuroTalk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolina View Post
question for anyone.. My b12 level was 249 they told me to take 1000 vit a day. I see that that is way to low of a dose.. I have also been taking it with food. so my question is. I have a friend that has a powder from Kirkmans that is the methylcobalamin that her kids take it is 5000 does.. has anyone heard of this and will this work?? or should I see if Kirkman's has a pill form.
There are 5mg doses at iherb.com from several manufacturers.
Also Puritan's Pride started carrying methylB12 oral too, which I took as a trial to see if it works, and it does splendidly. You can save alot of money with their sales. Soon the buy one get 2 free will be offered. Usually in early summer.

When taking methylcobalamin orally you MUST take it on an empty stomach. If you are low like this, that implies a failure of intrinsic factor. So you cannot rely on intrinsic factor to aid in absorption. The B12 then is passively absorbed in the small intestine...and presence of food acts as a sponge and reduces that. 5mg orally daily on an empty stomach should get you above 1000 in 3 months. I'd stay on it for at least 6 mos to a year since you have symptoms. Eventually you may be able to come down to 1000mcg (1mg) to hold at a good level. During the first year you will be building storage in the liver and also sending the B12 into the spinal fluid and brain. This is dependent on good serum concentrations, so you need to keep high for a while to accomplish that.

If you have some malabsorption issue in general, from inflammation like Crohn's disease or gluten sensitivity you probably will be low in other things. That is why diagnosis is important to show you what else you need to boost.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote