View Single Post
Old 04-14-2011, 11:02 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Good work

Hello, I am the mom of a 22 year old young woman who is very resistant to taking care of herself. I only want to say to you that you should be proud of the hard work you are putting towards caring for yourself. I wish my daughter would do the same.

Good luck to you for your continued success in your life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaraSurf88 View Post
Hi Ellen,

I am 22 years old- I was diagnosed with BP during my first year away at college (age 18). The symptoms I experienced and the diagnosis itself were scary and surreal.

At first I took the meds they handed me, saw a therapist weekly and went to a support group on campus. The support group saved me--- I got to see kids in bad shape who went off their meds and I got advice from kids who were doing well thanks to certain meds. Every week I saw real examples of what BP could turn me into.

At 19 I was experiencing daily hallucinations. My parents didn't like that I was on meds- this plus side effects, plus my warped mind resulted in me stopping my meds alltogether. I decided I was not BP so I didn't need any meds. Within weeks I ended up hospitalized for a week.

Oh and another time for a few months I decided that God would save me and I didn't need meds and started going to church every week. Even though I had never been religious or even stepped into a church before in my life.

My school is far from my parents, we only had phone contact every week or so.

I have been stable with tolerable side effects for 1 year now. (No one would ever suspect I have something wrong with me. I act totally normal now.)

It took lots of medication trials to find the right ones (i'm currently on 6) I was sick alot-- and could barely get to school. I lost friends b/c they didn't understand why I was also too sick to leave my room.

So I guess it took me 3 years to get my BP under control. I work, go to school, go to parties with friends. I'm a totally normal 22 year old college girl. As long as I take care of myself- meds, therapy, eating regularly, daily excercise, regular sleep routine etc. I've learned to watch out for things that set me off like a cluttered room or going to bed too late. It's a learning process and a bumpy ride but eventually she will be able to manage her symptoms.

It was luck and alot of hard work that I have made it through. My parents have never even taken me to a Dr. appt.

For me during that "trial and error" 3 year period it was MOST IMPORTANT that I STAY in a SAFE ENVIRONMENT. I made rules for myself like no driving at night(when I might be hypomanic). Don't leave the house when hypomanic etc.

It may be beneficial for you to live closer to her if possible-- so she has someone nearby to call if she does not feel safe by herself. My parents were very lucky that I figured BP out on my own without too many scars. They had nothing to do with my getting better.

Sorry for the rambling story. Let me know if you would like any more tips. I have been through it all.
"Thanks for this!" says:
anneo59 (08-21-2013), bizi (05-19-2020)