View Single Post
Old 04-14-2011, 02:18 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Therapeutic warm water pools

Hi - when my RSD was at its worst (much like you are describing), I found a lot of relief by exercising gently (or just resting) in a warm water therapy pool that is maintained by our local munipical youth center. The water is kept at least 95 degrees or warmer (I believe that is the temp, others will hopefully correct me if I am wrong).

The heat from the water helped my spasms and the blanching of my skin quite a bit. And I found that I could move much more freely without pain.

Some YMCA's and physical therapists also have warm water therapy pools. Try to find one that you can try out to see if it helps you. I really derived a lot of relief it. DON'T go into the regular pools - the cold water will cause WORSE spasms!!

I also take a muscle relaxer - Skelaxin - which helps with spasms. There are others like Soma, which is weaker, and Baclofen and Flexeril which are stronger. They will make you tired. I only take Skelaxin at bedtime or if I've done a lot of work with my arms which is guaranteed to give me a raging headache unless I take something (or lots of things) fast.

I also use a heating pad frequently on my spasming legs and shoulder and neck. I have heard of people that wrap themselves in electric blankets and find it quite useful.

The best of luck to you both. Often its just trying things out until you discover what works. I enjoy walking with my dog and my friends the most. Weather permitting, we will walk several miles a day. I believe it has been better for my RSD than just about anything else I've done, except for ketamine infusions (look up the threads here on Neurotalk).

xoxo Sandy
SandyRI is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
cndangel (04-14-2011)