View Single Post
Old 04-14-2011, 06:13 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by axseptants View Post
Thanks for your response. I have had autonomic system dysfunction symptoms come and go over the past couple of decades. I went through periods in which I would experience racing heartbeat (several minutes/hours at a time) for no apparent reason. I went through a whole year (several years back) of low grade fevers and episodes of weird upper body flushing. I'd be sitting in a meeting and turn bright red for no apparent reason. Then I'd go in the bathroom and there would be this microscopic red spots on my face where the flushing had been. When I touched them, they would smear blood on my face. I guess the flushing was so severe it was causing capillaries to burst. I also have balance issues. I have lightheadedness episodes for months at a time that come and go. I will get this sensation you get when you've been on a boat and get off and still feel like you are on the boat. Kind of like this feeling that things are moving under me. Usually, this will last for several hours, then I'll get a headache. If I sleep it will be better. It is also affected, I think by certain meds. I also have general balance issues (I walk into corners all the time...cut corners by accident and walk into them). I have Raynaud's which has gotten worse in my hands and feet. I used to be hot all the time (when I was on hormones), now I am cold all the time. I cannot maintain normal weight. The first Rheumatologist who suspected Sjogren's said that I had mild livido reticularis. I didn't even realize it until he pointed it out, but I do have very mild web-like patterns on my legs. Some docs don't even acknowledge it because it is so faint. I have only mild postural BP changes. I have fainted only once and that was from a what I later found out was a severe bladder infection. But I get faint a lot of times if I stand up too fast or change position too fast. I have had all types of urinary issues secondary to interstitial cystitis (urgency, frequency, difficulty initiating flow, urine retention). I also fluctuate between constipation and loose stools. I've had sexual dysfunction (inability to orgasm), but I always attributed it to taking SSRIs because I know they can cause that. Now, with the vulvar skin pain issues, I can forget about sex altogether. I single and not seeing anyone so it doesn't matter, I guess. The gastro motility issues will come on for months at a time, then I'll take Reglan for a while (used to be Zelnorm til they blackboxed it) and they'll go away. The Sicca symptoms, neuropathy, and vulvar skin issues are constant/chronic. The other stuff seems to come and go.
I understand about the coming/going of autonomic symptoms. Mine are pretty much constant now, but at the start (15 years ago) it was like this. You should inquire about other autonomic testing for the fast heart and BP. Event recorders can be handy to keep for a month or more (usually the case) and just placed on the chest when you feel the racing so it can document and determine the action. A tilt table is also quite effective for the lightheaded when changing position.

I know you already had the gastric empty test, but if you go spurts (a few months) with problems, then this is the time to retest.

PLEASE look into other treatments for GI motility issues. Reglan is KNOWN to cause movements disorders...and can be permanent. I had tried it years ago (before it was splashed all over the TV about lawsuits), and immediately had uncontrolled twitching and like restless leg syndrome. There are other treatments like modified diet and if severe enough, Domperidone.

The livedo is associated with autonomic as well. It is spasms of the medium sized vessels in the skin...which may have something to do with that flushing and broken capillaries. Lots of doctors don't pay attention to livedo unless very noticeable. My doctor always asks if his colleagues can come look at mine during exam (very pronounced on both arm, legs, and front/back of torso). Sometimes it's like I'm side show...but good they can learn and see, so I don't complain.

When do you see the neuro to discuss your results? Please keep us posted.
en bloc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
axseptants (04-20-2011)