View Single Post
Old 04-14-2011, 10:28 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default SSDI and Online College Courses???

Hi,
I'm new to the SSD Board. I have been on SSDI due to Myathenia Gravis (a Neuromuscluar Autoimmune disease) since 2006. I filed in January 2006, was denied twice, appealed twice and my case was approved in about 20 minutes during the hearing in May 2009.

As many of you know, being disabled can really strip one of their self worth and sense of value. I'm a Christian and if it had not been for the Lord on my side I don't know where I would be. I feel a calling to encourage those who are Chronically Ill and are in SSDI limbo while waiting for approval.

I was interested in enrolling in a Christian University and taking online courses for Christian Ministry. The program is set up so you only take one course at a time.I'm not looking to take these courses for any type of employment upon completion as I am still very much disabled. It is moreso to give me a sense of purpose, better equip me to encourage other chronically ill people and to keep my mind off of my own disability.

I was wondering if doing this would have an effect on my SSDI benefits?
I actually contacted my disability attorney, asked him this question and was told that it shouldn't affect my SSDI but I thought I would ask for opinions from other people on SSDI who may have firsthand knowledge on this subject.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you and God bless
Shari_W is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote