View Single Post
Old 04-16-2011, 12:12 PM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

I went to my dentist the other day for my regular cleaning and check up. (missed it in January because of a cold and the MS screwing around with me)

I told her my jaw and teeth hurt sometimes too. She looked and said she didnt see anything going on that would cause that on the side I was complaining about. (right side of my jaw)

She did tell me that my last 3 amalgam fillings that I havent had done yet probably needed to be done soon. Two are high mercury and she says one of them is leaking mercury. (how she can tell that, I dont know) She's afraid that I might have some infection under the filling that's not showing up on the x-rays. She thinks my latest MS flare could improve if she works on my teeth.

I need to talk to my neuro about this. If there's infection under the filling, then I want antibiotics before and after the tooth gets worked on.

I want to get those amalgams replaced with composite fillings, but I've been so traumatized at having work done on the other 12 teeth that were full of amalgam that I just didnt want anyone digging around in my mouth for awhile. Now I have to work up the courage and energy to go get these last 3 done.

I'm just afraid that one of them is going to end up being a root canal. (had that happen about a year ago and that really sucked!)

My dentist did tell me that the reason she thought my jaw was hurting is because of neck pain and back pain that I have (which my neuro said is probably spasticity and partly because my muscles are still recovering from being out of commission during that last flare, oh and I did actually hurt my back this winter slipping on some ice.)

The dentist thinks that when my neck and back are hurting that I'm tensing my back, and possibly clenching my jaw, which is what's making my teeth hurt.

She noticed I have some spasticity in my jaw, (oh yay ) and wants me to get my teeth worked on before the spasticity gets any worse.

~ "Animals have two functions in society. To taste good and to fit well." ~ Greg Proops, actor ~
Erin524 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote