Thread: Autism
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2011, 06:39 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Autism

Hi, I have a severly affected autistic 10 year old grandson whom lives with me. My husband is 60 and is getting slower at memory. I am 51 and have myasthenia gravis. A muscle condition which causes your immune system to attack your muscles and make them weak. rest brings you back a little. My grandson refuses to take his medicines. Every day is a struggle he spits them out, even the melt a ways. So we hide it in his food. Sometimes he won't eat it we stay up most of the night. He blows constantly like a stim, From sun up to sun down. He is loving at times but will just bite the tar out of you and scratch like a cat. We love him dearly, but with our illnesses and getting weaker. We don't know how long we can do this. The thought of him being in a home breaks my heart, but the thought of living with this breaks my body. He does not talk and is still in diapers. I have tried almost every therapy. They have him in a class that teaches him everyday living skills instead of ABCS AND 123S. He couldn't learn. He takes Risperdal. He recently started having seizures as soon as he wakes up, drop attacks. I have just given up giving him morning meds because he refuses to eat or drink anything before lunchtime usually. So far the night one is keeping him ok. I would love to hear from other caretakers. thanks
BARBARA356 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote