Thread: ACDF Surgery
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2011, 11:52 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Waiting adds problems to the list!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC1977 View Post
Alrighty...I''m here because I went to the doctors about two months ago for a stiff neck. Two days later I had severe weakness in my right arm. Back to the doctor, several tests later turns out I have a herniated disc C4-5 could be more so the doc says. What I want to know is if anyone has received a similar diagnosis and put off the surgery for any extended period for any reason. Any input would help greatly.
Hey - I'm nearly 5 mos post-op from multi-level acdf surgery (c4-c6). The surgery itself, with major complications, is a breeze. I felt great the day after surgery and returned to my full-time job in 4 weeks. So, I would not recommend putting off the surgery if that's what your doctor recommends. I went years with the three herniated disks and other issues in my neck and back. Pre-surgery, my pain was concentrated on my left side (neck, back, arm, hand). Now that I'm in physical therapy, my pain is primarily on the right because unknowingly I had been compensating for the left side with my right. The bottom line is that you are continuing to damage your back in places that you think would not be impacted, and undoing all of that when you finally do have surgery is extremely difficulty and doubly painful.
Laurie64 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote