View Single Post
Old 04-17-2011, 06:06 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Newcomer

Hi budman and everyone on the board,

In late January I was in a skiing accident and suffered a concussion although I didn't realize it at the time. I didn't blackout so I thought I'd be okay and for 2 days after, I continued my routine of going to the gym in the morning and then off to work. On the 3rd day I could barely wake up and about 2 hours into my work day, I could barely make out words on my computer screen or concentrate when having a conversation.

I am looking forward to reading all of the success stories on this site. I am hoping this will be an inspiration - I firmly believe that one's beliefs and thought patterns can contribute to the healing process.

On with my story...
I went to see my doctor that afternoon and have seen him every week since. I also see someone who practices osteopathic techniques, a massage therapist and my symptoms have been decreasing slowly. A list of my symptoms include: migraines; a feeling of fullness all around my head; disturbed sleep - there have been many sleepless nights and various days where I could sleep for a full 24 hours; increase in dreams every time I sleep; dizziness when getting up from a seated position; daily nausea; a film over my vision; problems retaining information and difficulty concentration. I also experienced ringing in my ears 3 different days and a general feeling of being in a dream state.

The symptoms are improving, meaning they are less strong and less frequent. I still experience them most days. I have to say when I have a good day and feel more like myself, I feel GREAT! Then there are the days where I feel like I did during the first few weeks and I become depressed. My doctor has recently prescribed a drug for my migraines which is a very low dose of an anti-depressant. It's only been a few days so I can write more about that in the next few weeks.

I think it's important to see a therapist or life coach that can support anyone in this situation. There are so many emotions that come along with PCS and I have found it helpful to have one on one sessions to talk it through.

I wish everyone a successful recovery
SkiConcussion
SkiConcussion is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote