View Single Post
Old 04-17-2011, 06:26 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Your story has helped me today. I've been off work for almost 3 months with PCS and have been trying to maintain my sanity. If you're interested, I have posted my story below. I continue to sit in dark, quiet rooms and don't go out much thanks to my husband who does the shopping and driving now that I am in this state. I have noticed my symptoms are less strong and less frequent and when I have a day like today, it brings me way down. Thanks so much for posting.

Here's my story:
In late January I was in a skiing accident and suffered a concussion although I didn't realize it at the time. I didn't blackout so I thought I'd be okay and for 2 days after, I continued my routine of going to the gym in the morning and then off to work. On the 3rd day I could barely wake up and about 2 hours into my work day, I could barely make out words on my computer screen or concentrate when having a conversation.

I went to see my doctor that afternoon and have seen him every week since. I also see someone who practices osteopathic techniques, a massage therapist and my symptoms have been decreasing slowly. A list of my symptoms include: migraines; a feeling of fullness all around my head; disturbed sleep - there have been many sleepless nights and various days where I could sleep for a full 24 hours; increase in dreams every time I sleep; dizziness when getting up from a seated position; daily nausea; a film over my vision; problems retaining information and difficulty concentration. I also experienced ringing in my ears 3 different days and a general feeling of being in a dream state.

The symptoms are improving, meaning they are less strong and less frequent. I still experience them most days. I have to say when I have a good day and feel more like myself, I feel GREAT! Then there are the days where I feel like I did during the first few weeks and I become depressed. My doctor has recently prescribed a drug for my migraines which is a very low dose of an anti-depressant. It's only been a few days so I can write more about that in the next few weeks.

I think it's important to see a therapist or life coach that can support anyone in this situation. There are so many emotions that come along with PCS and I have found it helpful to have one on one sessions to talk it through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayb83 View Post
I'm so happy I found this thread!

I'm 2 months post-concussion. I was knocked unconscious for 4 minutes playing soccer and was nauseous afterwards. I went to the ER right away and was sent home. After 2 weeks of missed work, fogginess, anxiety and just not being me, i ended up ata rehabilitation centre with a doctor that specializes in concussion. The best things I took away were:
1) I needed to accept what happened and accept recovery was going to be 3 months minimum and longer if I push myself.
2) I couldn't "play through" it. I had to decrease every activity in my life (work, chores, sex, socializing, tv, reading, etc) by 50% and add back slowly. It was my brain. I've made a good career off of it and am quite fond of it, so it deserved for me to put ambition and self inflicted deadlines on hold until it was healthy.
3) rest means REST. sit in a quiet, dark room with no tv, no books, no people, nothing and just sit (this was the hardest!). I found my recovery sped up by leaps and bound when I did this each day.
4) diet and booze drugs were major players. All natural, lean meat, lots of fruit and veggies and LOTS of water took my anxiety away and drinking made it come back. If you want to feel sane, feed your brain good stuff while it's recovering.

All of these things have helped me a lot. And instead of focusing on what I can't do, each Friday I celebrate what I got back. One new curve ball is I went from being super groggy and sleeping 9-12 hours a night to not being able to sleep on the 2 month anniversary of my concussion. Not sure how to help that new symptom.

Finally, I know these are tall orders for 90% of People out there. I used to play on 3 sports teams, work out 4 times a week, work at my job for 60 hours a week and still find time to volunteer and be a socialite. Now I work 3/4 time, don't really work out and spend my nights in dark quiet rooms. Bottom line, it sucks. Concussions suck and the recovery is took everything I love to do away from me. But it happened, it's here and (as my lovely fiancé has told me) you just gotta buck up and be disciplined in your recovery so getting "me" back will be quicker. You can't change it, so deal with recovery and your limitations head on (pardon the irony).

Best of luck and thanks for letting me know I'm not alone out here.
SkiConcussion is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote