View Single Post
Old 04-17-2011, 08:02 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

RW,

Your post (below) explains why I am no longer on any MS medication. Even with insurance (based on our tax calculations for 2010, with the carry-over losses from MS medication fees) I had to spend over $170,000 for three years of MS medication. These medications, with thier minimal efficacy rates, have bled us dry, but we learned a pricells lesson.

I am just letting natural selection play its role and feel so much better (mentally and physically) about it.

Big Pharma is playing on the hopes of the suffering, just like the old-fashioned snake-oil salemen did 1800's wild west. It is immoral in my opinion.

I have become more of a realist about the motives of big pharma (old classmates work for several of these firms and they have explained the dirty secrets of these companies spewing evangelical-like hope at the cost for thier meds).

It is amazing how much better and functional I feel not being dragged down the pharma road any more. One caveat is that some people, albiet few, are being helped by some of these meds. So they should be happy, and I wish them the best.

I have replaced personally my goal of owning/flying a P-51 with fishing on a quiet river, bird watching and cooking. And, I feel so much better about it.

Big pharma may have soaked my pocketbook/savings dry, but they have done me a great service, and that is to appreciate what I can do and what life has to offer if you just look around.

No complaints from me anymore. Just the satisfaction of enjoying life at the fullest.

Thanks for the post, RW. I hope things are going well for you.

-Vic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverwild View Post
I am not sure how I missed this and my apologies if it has already been posted...

It just stunned me and then it made me angry, as a patient who is hostage to big pharma companies because I have a chronic incurable disease and choose to take a DMD to improve my quality of life.

The rising cost of MS drugs:

All costs listed are for drug only and are approximate cost per year. You or your insurance company may pay more or less depending on what kind of coverage you have.
Copaxone $42,300.00
Gilenya $48,000.00
Tysabri $42,788.00
Avonex $37,544.00
Betaseron $37,294.00
Rebif $36,825.00
Ampyra $12,850.00

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...-ms-drugs.html

4-AP- Skip's pharmacy cost w/compounding $95.00 for 100 day supply/3 10mg caps a day (cost as of 02/11)
Low Dose Naltrexone- Skip's pharmacy cost w/compounding $66.00 for 100 day supply/4.5 mg day (cost as of 02/11)

I'm off on another letter writing campaign to my Congressmen and women and my Senators and the President and the papers and whoever else I can bother this week!
Victor H is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
barb02 (04-18-2011), Dejibo (04-18-2011), dmplaura (04-18-2011), Jappy (04-19-2011), Kitty (04-18-2011), Riverwild (04-22-2011), SallyC (04-17-2011)