View Single Post
Old 04-17-2011, 09:05 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Ny dmv no better

At the beginning of March I got stopped for speeding. The officer then informed me that my license was suspended & they were impounding my hand controlled van. My wheelchair which is broken was in the back of the van & there was no way for me to get home. The cops did not care. I walked (stopped dozens of times) home which took OVER 2 HOURS!

I went to court last Thursday on the tickets (1 for speeding/ 1 for a suspended license). The prosecutor calls me outside & offers me a deal says if I don't take it I WILL BE ARRESTED because driving on a suspended license is a crime not a motor vehicle violation. I agree to the plea deal. But when I go before the judge he says that the suspension IS NOT from this court (Long Beach) it is from Hempstead. He gives me 24 hours to clear up the suspension or I will be arrested & then come back to Long Beach Court next Thursday on the 2 tickets just mentioned.

The prosecutor tells me to take the bus or train from Long Beach to the Hempstead Terminal & the court is not far from their. Well not only was the court far but it was hidden in a back alley behind other buildings. By the time I got there the court was closed for lunch had to wait over 1 hour for court to open.

Again I was offered a plea deal & told that if I wanted a copy of the ticket it would take hours which by that time the cashier would be closed & I only had 24 hours to clear up the suspension. So I paid $315 for a ticket I do not know what it is for.

I left there had to take my mom her taxes (she is in Rehab with back problems) and then came home. I got off the bus at the Long Beach Terminal & walked a very short distance to the car service I had been taking. No one likes to drive me because my walker is heavy & I have a small service dog. They kind of played a game among one another over who would take me - "Steve" was the winner. Steve DID NOT like having to put the walker in the back of his mini van & kind of threw it back there then SLAMMED THE HATCHBACK DOWN ON IT! He broke the welds off the basket (won't stay on anymore), & broke the hand brake that CANNOT BE REPAIRED worse than that the frame is bent & the walker does not steer straight. Filed a claim with the taxi company.

The NEXT DAY in the mail I get an envelope with no return address & my name & address handwritten on it. Inside the envelope was another envelope a letter that DMV mailed to me on JANUARY 21 telling me my license was being suspended for this unknown ticket but THEY MAILED IT TO MY OLD ADDRESS. Apparently it was RETURNED & that is why I DID NOT get it until April 15.

It gets better on JANUARY 24 3 days AFTER DMV issued the suspension I was at DMV. It was discovered by the mobility place that my license DID NOT have FULL HAND CONTROLS WRITTEN ON IT. DMV ran my license to see if I had FULL HAND CONTROLS on my license in the past which I did so they issued a new license since my license would have expired on my birthday 2011.

What I CANNOT UNDERSTAND is if I was at DMV 3 days AFTER THE SUSPENSION WAS ISSUED WHY WHEN DMV RAN MY LICENSE FOR THE HAND CONTROLS DIDN'T THEY SEE THE SUSPENSION THAT THEY ISSUED?

Now I get to go back to court next Thursday on the suspension & the speeding ticket. Who knows what this will cost me.
Dejibo (04-18-2011), SallyC (04-18-2011), Twinkletoes (04-18-2011)