View Single Post
Old 03-03-2007, 07:03 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlhperry View Post
I will have to assume you read my post Title and not the entire post. The only part of my post you chose to comment on was the stem cell issue. I also started my first post with discussion of suggestions the author could do to learn more about her illness and how she might be able to help the entire Parkinson's community.

I suggested in the next paragraph what most studies have stated about those with the genetic portion of PD and what is considered the most effective treatment today. I did not tell her she should do any of my suggestions, but only attempted to share some of the studies I have read.

I do not agree with the majority of Parkinson's patients that the one of the most important political issues is finding the cure for Parkinson's disease. I wouldn't even consider it one of the top ten. I watch the news at night and see the conditions that the cultures in Africa and the Middle East live in, hear stories of how many Americans are without healthcare, and the poor scores of our American students and how the American education system is suffering in comparison to the education received in other countries. I do not spend my time complaining about my Parkinson's disease and the quality of life I lead. I have educated myself to understand the nature of my disease and accept what today's scientific community is able to offer.

If you think Parkinson's Disease is the most important political issue, I would suggest you spend some time in the inner city schools of some of America's largest cities, where the majority of the students are immigrants who have come to America to escape a life of sub-human conditions. I am fighting a case of pinworm, from spending time at such a school, volunteering to help students learn music, an international language.

I do this on my good days which are getting farther and farther apart. But as long as I can contribute to society I will. And on the days I can't I will be grateful for those who return to me what I have tried to give to others.

Since many of you like poetry on this site, let me remind you of a poem you probably heard in elementary school. It has had a big impact on my life.

Robert Frost (1874–1963). Mountain Interval. 1920.

1. The Road Not Taken

TWO roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth; 5

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same, 10

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back. 15

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

Love,
Vicky

Hi, Vicky.

I did, in fact, read your entire post. I generally do not comment about things that I haven't read in their entirety.

I think Ms. Bachman is doing a WORLD of good by going public. By a public airing of her disease, perhaps someone reading the Post will recognize the symptoms in him or herself and get some care. Call it "lighting a candle" instead of "cursing the darkness." We all fight this thing in our own way. What's right for some may not be right for others.

I'm wondering where in my post you saw me suggesting that PD was the most important political issue.

I do think there's potential in stem cell research. And I also believe that people who want to impose their religious beliefs on others are responsible standing in the way of that potential. This is not directed at you, neither was my previous comment. It's my opinion. That's all it is.

Thank you for caring about the children, and good luck with the pinworm.

Bill