View Single Post
Old 04-17-2011, 11:20 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by en bloc View Post
One of my questions I'd plan to ask was whether more inappropriate arrhythmias would develop...and you just answered that for me. I sort of thought this would be the case.

This is not the first time the EPS has come up, but we kept trying to control with meds. This past fall we tried exactly what you suggested...to "clean house" and reduce and/or eliminate meds. The control of cardiac spasms and NMH improved, but arrhythmias increased significantly. Clearly the beta blocker we dropped was doing much more than we thought, but it doesn't play well with other cardiac meds in patients with NMH and spasms.

The hope is to eliminate the errant signals & open doors for better control all the way around with less meds. If new pathways are affected in the future, then I guess there would still be the option of adding an ICD with my pacer. Either way, both are invasive procedures.

This cardio has an excellent success rate (as does the JH arrhythmia center itself). Being that he didn't want to do this several years ago and has played every meds game possible, I know he wouldn't haven chosen this path without careful thought.

I agree that treating individual organs in dysautonomia is difficult, but to date, there is nothing to do as a whole. Birnbaum said once those autonomic signals are gone....they're gone! So I'm pretty much autonomically dependent with intervention whether it be meds, devices, etc at this point.
Never give up hope is what I have learned. I had a very erratic heartrate for quite a long time. It eventually got better. I too am on beta blockers. The body has a way of compensating. Best of luck to you mate and your not alone in these autonomic issues. It can be so frustrating. Aussie
Aussie99 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
en bloc (04-18-2011)