View Single Post
Old 04-18-2011, 07:57 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Musician with TOS

Hello,

Was wondering if anyone out there could help me with some of my questions.

I am a classical guitarist and I have been having a lot of problems with my left hand.
About 4 years ago i noticed that my hand wasn't functioning as good as it was. I started to complain of my hand being dead and non-responsive. My fingers started to miss hit. Even if it was a simple passage of music physically to play, I would some how find it really hard to get there (fretboard).
About 2 years ago more worrying signs occurred. I would be able to play ok for say a week, then I would have to take a few days off. It then got a bit better after that, played for another week, needed those days off again. Then the rest time increased to say a week rest 2 days play. Than a month rest a few days play. Till I could barely play properly at all. All this time I didn't have any pain. My hand was just dead, numb and i got pins and needles.
Saw so many doctors and physios. Some saying this, some saying that. All saying I can fix you.
I was still getting no where.
People where saying it is all in your head. I thought, maybe it is. I tried different ways of thinking. Was trying to change things with my "mind power" total rubbish I thought, but I try to be open to everything until i can prove it wrong.
I then researched TOS. I had a lot of those symptoms. I saw a neurosurgeon, then a vascular surgeon.
I spent about 10 minutes with the vascular surgeon, then I was out the door and booked for surgery the next week.
Bit of jump after years of trouble.
Had the surgery (rib removal) surgeon came in really happy afterwards saying "you had huge compression on one of your arteries and nerves, from fibrous tissue" and other things, can't really remember his exact words. I have a cervical rib where there was tissue growing.
I was so happy, They found a physical problem.
I knew there was something wrong. Am pretty annoyed with those "its all in your head" people.

It is now about 2 and a half months since surgery and things have improved.
a lot of those symptoms of "dry" hands, numbness have gone.
I am now trying to play again.
Initial days of playing a bit shaky. But after playing my hand used to be all tingly and dry, now it isn't. Perhaps it is a little, but no where near as much.
Started to do some pretty intense playing but some of those symptoms of no being able to find the string are still there. some days are better than others but it is defiantly not 100%.

So does anyone know if this would be normal after surgery? to not be better yet? I know this would probably be a lot to ask but, not sure.
I'm not completely sure how the body works.

I said I Have had these problems for 4 years but symptoms started to occur say 6 years ago. I used to never want to stop playing because if i did and then tried to play say an hour, my hands felt "horrible"

It has been a long time I have been pushing through these symptoms. Making them get worse and worse.
Could I have damaged some nerves beyond repair?
Or does my body just require more months of recovery. After playing I can get a bit of a pulling sensation in the area of surgery.

Could scar tissue still be interfering with nerve function?

I have had a long spiel and I thank you for reading. I hope someone can help me out here a little.

Hope my story can help you understand some of your own thoughts/concerns.

p.s
I think my story is fairly unique, not sure though.
Since I am a musician I have developed areas of my body which would not be quite as well developed for a normal human being.
as most TOS suffers have trouble with pain, I didn't. I used the body in a different way and got an injury. Not like a sport injury where they can't move their whole leg or something, but another kind of "sport injury".
If anyone wants to ask me any questions feel free
portacot is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
mspennyloafer (04-18-2011)