View Single Post
Old 04-18-2011, 04:11 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default post op experiences!!

1.How was it right after surgery?
Right after surgery, (45 min in recovery) I was brought up to my patient room. I was given morphine very two hours on the dot, though the morphine wore off at about the one hour mark- which made it difficult to wait the extra hour! The surgery lasted just over two hours and it started at 345p. By the time 11p hit, I was ready to go to the bathroom. The nurse “spotted” me as I walked in and out of the bathroom to the bed, but otherwise I could do everything else on my own. My largest pain was in my left shoulder blade. They didn’t put me in traction while in the OR, but my shoulder blade was on FIRE! This made any sort of sleep impossible. I laid on my right shoulder with a pillow holding the left side of my back at a 45 degree angle or so. PLUS- they come in every hour to check vitals and what not. No sleep at all.

2.What was it was like when you left the hospital?
I left the very next morning by 1030. Not even 24 hours in the hospital (incl pre-op!) I didn’t have a drain or pump for my lungs, and the surgeon thought I was strong enough to leave. I didn’t suffer any nausea until this morning from the morphine, so I sent my husband to get my Vicodine from the pharmacy and had the nurse take my IV out. Husband came back, took the Vicodine and half an hour later I was in the wheelchair out the door! Had a big fluffy pillow to rest my arm on for the short ride home. Husband was a careful and considerate driver. Did get very woozy tho, be mindful of that possibility.

3.What was it like getting around?
Getting around on Vicodin was troublesome. I took Vicdodin for only the day I was discharged and then quickly switched to ADVIL during the daytime and Vicodin for the nighttime/sleep. This was I could get around without getting woozy.

4.What did you need help with? ie. how steady were you, how well could you take care of yourself? Help going to the bathroom? Showering/bathing? I did just fine getting around when I switched to ADVIL during the daytime. I needed some help getting dressed (bra, shirts, ect.) However, showering I did fine and doing my makeup was fine as well. Although my shoulder was sore as a whole, I was already able to lift my arm higher than 90 degrees on the morning of day two post op to do my hair.

5.Did you need help with the incision at all? Anyone just have incisions above and below the collarbone?
I didn’t need help with the incision- They closed it with sutures internally and derma-bonded the outside. I didn’t have a drain or tube for my lung. I DID BLOWDRY my armpit dry instead of with a towel though. Oh, they went through my left armpit. 

6.How did you manage pain? Did you need ice a lot?
I took Vicodine for the whole day that I was discharged. The next morning I switched to taking ADVIL all day and only taking the Vicodine before sleep. I am 6 days post op now and will continue this routine for another few days.

7.What was it like the first couple of days?
I slept fine when in my own bed, however the left shoulder blade pain was by far the most intense pain to have delt with. Finding a comfortable position was tough, slept half on my back and half on my right shoulder. Breathing was fine, though breathing deep (like you’re supposed to do) was difficult because of the severe shoulder blade pain. I second the constipation factor- buy some milk of magnesium and take it day two or three post op when you’re home. Things are slow in the house, but I was up and moving my arm on day two post op.

8.The first week?
Same story, start doing more and more with that arm- raising hand above my head. Day three at night I could raise my left arm 180 degrees. Didn’t have pain doing this, it was just tight and uncomfortable. No heavy lifting.

9.The second week?
Not even there yet.

Skip 10 and 11

12.How did you deal with meals, dishes, laundry, shopping? Did you use public transportation?
No public tans, I did dishes with my right hand just fine, got around just fine, shopped fine. I bought a sling and ONLY used it when I went to the store, if anything, just to tell people non-verbally that I’m injured and don’t walk into me. Give me some space, was the msg with the sling. Worked great. Didn’t wear the sling while at home, outside in the yard, ect. DID use a big fluffy pillow to rest my arm on while in the car though.

13.How active were you, ie. walking around?
Walked around and got active very quickly, didn’t hold me back much at all. Although, I cant hold many items in my left hand because they are too heavy, too high above my head, ect.

14.What kind of tools did you use to make it easier for yourself? Any tips/suggestions?
Big fluffy pillow for the car, sling for the grocery store to warn people, ADVIL, didn’t use ice, I had a heating pad for my back to loosen my muscles in my back/shoulder blade area, and try to get back to eating as normal and as quickly as possible. Stretch your arm, push yourself only a little bit at a time to regain ROM. The longer you baby those motions, the harder it will be to recover. BTW- I am not going to PT, surgeon says I won’t/don’t need it.

Happy healing to everyone, hope this helps!
Jocelyn
josepentia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
nospam (04-02-2012)