View Single Post
Old 04-18-2011, 11:56 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I am so sorry to hear that your daughter has this monster and she is not doing well. It is a tough decision about the wheelchair. My daughter who is 17 has had RSD for about 2 years also. At first it was in her left leg and she would use crutches all the time. She had lost so much muscle in her leg and she was in pain all the time, the color of her leg was a deep purple and looked terrible. I would highly recommend the Boston Pain Rehab Program PPRC. She was there for 4 weeks and was off the crutches in two days. They have a great team and I have seen amazing results. She got her life back for almost 3 months, she was running, going to school, hanging out with friends, it was a wonderful time. She was still in pain but learned to be fuctional. To our disappointment it didn’t last very long but they taught her lifetime lessons. During those 3 months it spread to her left arm/shoulder, but she never wanted to go back to any device to help her (walker or wheelchair) and I have offered them to her because it was so hard to see her in so much pain when she would weight bear. PPRC teaches these kids how to cope and not to go back to the things that will make the RSD worse. Slowly she did get better and is able to go out with friends and family events, sometimes even shopping.

The current condition your daughter is in, yes I would get her a wheelchair, staying in bed is not where she should be. But please look into a rehab program for her. Boston, Philly and Cleveland Clinic all offer a rehab program and it sounds like you daughter could really benefit from it. My daughter still struggles with this disease every day, she is home bound from school at the moment but she gets out of bed every day. She does PT twice a week and just keeps moving. Yes, she has her bad days and flares seem to happen more than often than we all like.

I hope and pray your daughter gets better; our kids are just too young to have this monster in their lives.
rachel's daugther is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
fmichael (04-19-2011), gabbycakes (04-20-2011), gramE (04-19-2011), wswells (04-20-2011)