View Single Post
Old 04-19-2011, 08:02 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddd15 View Post
Hi everyone. I know with the wealth of experience on this board I will get some good advice....My 15 yo daughter has been struggling with RSD for 2 years. She was doing OK for a while but the past 4 months have been going downhill quick. She has pain in both legs, her ribs, and her shoulders...and headaches EVERY day. We have an appt with a pedi. pain mgmt in another city in about two weeks. We are kind of in between doctors at this point. As usual, we thought we had a good one until he said he was out of ideas time to move on. Anyway, my daughter is asking for a wheelchair. She is laying on the couch or bed about 90% of the day. She "can" walk, but obviously it is excruciating. I feel like a wheelchair might at least get her off the couch more. I know "move it or lose it" but she's not moving it at this point because she's never getting up.

What do you all think about using a wheelchair....are they necessary at some point?

Thanks for our opinions.
Dear DDD15,
Trust me, I am not 15, but accepting the limitations is a long process. I still won't get on the electric cart in the grocery in my town, somebody might see me. I have used out of town where nobody knows me.

So I guess I'm saying I can't even begin to imagine a fifteen year old dealing with the pain, the limitations, the stigmas of being different, the changes and life choices that are going on in her body and mind.

Rachael's Daughter's advice serves a double purpose then, by giving her opportunity to overcome the fear of the stigmas and yet helping her to cope and giving her hope. Maybe the two could correspond and R'sD could offer yours some encouragement that might touch a nerve she's tuning out with you 'cause as all fifteen year olds have a tendency to think-"You are just the mom, you don't know how it is!".

I will be praying for both of you, because I know you would take this from her in a heartbeat.

One day at a time,
pat e

gramE is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote