Thread: ACDF Surgery
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2011, 11:48 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC1977 View Post
Alrighty...I''m here because I went to the doctors about two months ago for a stiff neck. Two days later I had severe weakness in my right arm. Back to the doctor, several tests later turns out I have a herniated disc C4-5 could be more so the doc says. What I want to know is if anyone has received a similar diagnosis and put off the surgery for any extended period for any reason. Any input would help greatly.
Hi,
I put of having a 3 level ACD&F (c4-c7) for 7 yrs. Kept working my same job. My job consisted of working on a machine that involved a lot of quick head movement, and good control of my hands, arms and upper body. Needless to say, I finally went in for surgery on Dec. 01, 2010. After 3 months in a neck brace, and now 5 PT sessions, I am suffering more pain then before. Intense headaches starting on the left side of my neck and running up to my left eye. Can't sleep, cause I can't get into a position that doesn't strain my neck. Total numbness in my right hand and fingers. Shooting pain in left shoulder (never had that before surgery). Legs get tired after about 100 yards of walking.
I suppose what I am saying is, if you intend to have the surgery, don't put it off. Obviously my putting it off for so long caused more damage then could be fixed. Wish I would have listened to the NS now.
Also found out this morning that my company no longer has a position for me. They let me go. So, now I am out of insurance, a job, and who knows what.
Whatever you decide I hope things work out the best for you.
mikelsranger is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote