View Single Post
Old 04-19-2011, 11:59 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Erythromelalgia - hot burning feet

Hi Mrs. D
I am new to this website and am so excited to have found it and you. This particular comment (and info on Magnesium) really grabbed my attention. I have just been diagnosed with Erythromelalgia. Pls forgive me if I am not commenting in the right place, I am still confused with how to use the website.

It wasn't bad enough that I have fairly fast progressing PN so guess I now have two conditions. The PN isn't nearly as painful as the ERY in that it presents with numbness, tingling, stabbing, etc. but it is the ERY that causes the extremely hot burning feet (deep inside and the skin is involved too), the heat (feels like fire) actually leaves red marks on my skin after the episode has subsided. My doctor diagnosed me with ERY once I told him that heat (temp to weather, warm shoes, furry boots, hot sand, etc) and alcohol (the drinking kind) exascerbated painful episodes which can last from hours to days. This info might be important for others who are struggling with the same symtoms. I obviously try to avoid heat situations (i live in washington state so the weather is cooler here but still no guarantee) and I no longer drink. All this said it still does not gurantee new episodes, they still happen for whatever reason. I am currently working with a doctor in pain medicine at the University of Washington.

He (pain doctor) has provided more information in one visit than I got from all my other visits with my TOP neurologist. I have concluded that neurologists just diagnose and prescrib medicine to help with pain and tell you there is no cure and here are pain med's. They really don't try to work toward finding out why you have this or looking for new ways to manage the pain. I continue to search online for any and all information and again I want to thank you for all the information I have garnered from your webiste. It is invaluable.

I think I said this before......I am new to the site and hope I have responded in the correct way but if I haven't please forgive me.

In case you are wondering I am currently taking Gabapentin for nerve pain (it works better than nothing but lots of side effects. I also take Protriptiline. I was taking Nortriptiline at night but left me quite groggy and loopy the next day so have just started with the Protriptiline. Can't report how well it does or doesn't work yet. I think it's a very old med (my pharmacy had to order).

Thanks again and as others had mentioned until you find this site you think you are the only person in the world with this awful, dibilitating and depressing form of pain. There is simply no way to explain this to family and friends so that they understand, I hardly understand it myself. I have been incredibly depressed bordering on "not wanting to live anymore" as opposed to thinking of suicide (I do believe there is a difference) so thank you for all of you who share your pain, treatments, thoughts and ideas.
norahs is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
mrdunn100 (02-17-2015)