View Single Post
Old 04-20-2011, 12:15 AM
Grand Magnate

10 yr Member
Grand Magnate

10 yr Member
Heart Dear Tink

Any physician who would ever speak of surgery requiring general anesthesia, multiple incisions of the back [spine and pocket location], excission of bone regardless how de minimis, and all of those neatly typed disclosures every patient always has so sign off to regarding having been informed of all of the risks and things that could go wrong in the OR should likely not be treating you. I had permanent implant of SCS unit devices via partial laminectomy with insertion of paddles. It was taken very seriously by the whole team. Back surgery is back surgery. I had similar pain from the implant just not as severe as I had for prior fusion surgeries. But by gum, every movement made by me post surgery was painful, even rolling in bed. Every physician who has treated me has spoken of the care which is being taken to perform their professional work carefully but that sometimes things can go wrong. They do not want to needlessly worry the patient, but truth be told, there are risks anytime skin is opened. Typically this is why surgery is held off as a last resort treatment to a host of issues.

So, please do take the lead and ask questions to ensure your treatment is to be afforded the proper due care medical treatment, not non challant, not slapstick, but with propreity and seriousness. Why do I react this way..... because I personally knew a woman in my community who went in for a Selective Nerve Root Injection, typically done here in an OR, treated as surgery with extreme care, under fluoroscopy to assure proper placement because of the risks inherent to improper care. Her doctor did not perform the procedure thusly, instead opting to perform his work in a doctor's office examination room. Infection ensued. The woman, whom I knew, died.

Surgery is no simple matter, no laughing matter, no matter what. Ask PoohAC, she will urge questions, caution, and despite the routineness of the procedure for the physician speak to you of due care for the patients. Anyway, I do believe she would address you that way.

Caring for you, and hoping all will go extremely well,
Prayin,
Mark56 zz
Mark56 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
hurting (04-20-2011), Rrae (04-20-2011)