View Single Post
Old 04-20-2011, 07:24 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Look outside the PM Doctors for your answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark56 View Post
Any physician who would ever speak of surgery requiring general anesthesia, multiple incisions of the back [spine and pocket location], excission of bone regardless how de minimis, and all of those neatly typed disclosures every patient always has so sign off to regarding having been informed of all of the risks and things that could go wrong in the OR should likely not be treating you. I had permanent implant of SCS unit devices via partial laminectomy with insertion of paddles. It was taken very seriously by the whole team. Back surgery is back surgery. I had similar pain from the implant just not as severe as I had for prior fusion surgeries. But by gum, every movement made by me post surgery was painful, even rolling in bed. Every physician who has treated me has spoken of the care which is being taken to perform their professional work carefully but that sometimes things can go wrong. They do not want to needlessly worry the patient, but truth be told, there are risks anytime skin is opened. Typically this is why surgery is held off as a last resort treatment to a host of issues.

So, please do take the lead and ask questions to ensure your treatment is to be afforded the proper due care medical treatment, not non challant, not slapstick, but with propreity and seriousness. Why do I react this way..... because I personally knew a woman in my community who went in for a Selective Nerve Root Injection, typically done here in an OR, treated as surgery with extreme care, under fluoroscopy to assure proper placement because of the risks inherent to improper care. Her doctor did not perform the procedure thusly, instead opting to perform his work in a doctor's office examination room. Infection ensued. The woman, whom I knew, died.

Surgery is no simple matter, no laughing matter, no matter what. Ask PoohAC, she will urge questions, caution, and despite the routineness of the procedure for the physician speak to you of due care for the patients. Anyway, I do believe she would address you that way.

Caring for you, and hoping all will go extremely well,
Prayin,
Mark56 zz
This is one of a few post on any of these forums that truly address the real problems with having surgery of any type. I have seen several PM doctors over the past 7 months 5 in all to get options and all but one said before they ever looked at me I can cure your pain for ever by implanting a SCS. I ask the 4 PM Drs. for references since they all said that all their patients had great outcome. Not one could with one name. It seems that most not all but most PM Drs. take this SCS very lightly like it is doing a oil change. 3 Drs. out of the 4 said that this was a piece of cake to implant. The 1 Dr. told me that he does more SCS implants then any other Dr. in a 12 state area and it is no big deal. This same Dr. wanted to do a block that day and I told him that I did not bring a driver with me and he said no problem he does blocks different that most other Drs. do but I passed and never went back to this dr. again. I have had 5 blocks in the past and I was loopy for hours after each block. All blocks are for my right hand, entire arm, upper chest and back.

I have crps type II now for over 4 years and only been treated by PM Drs. for just over a year now. All these PM Drs. act like they want to implant SCS and be done with you. All 4 Drs. never said anything about possible complication of any type all said only good things about the SCS units. As I understand it this is to be used only as the last possible treatment. They all seem to want to do this first over any other other treatments.

Tinkster

I have found that to get a unbiased answer to your SCS problem I would find a Back Surgeon and tell that person what your problem is and what you want to do then see what options they come up with. These Drs. have worked with SCS and would have a clear understanding as to how they work and how to implant them. They will give you more answers that you will not get from any PM Dr. You have waited this long so take the extra time to find a answer from some else that has no connection to your case they may have a better way to fix this once in for all that no one else thought of. New eyes can see things in a clearer light.

Sorry for the long rambling.
hurting is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Mark56 (04-20-2011), Rrae (04-22-2011)