View Single Post
Old 03-04-2007, 03:23 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default I`m a Christian too...but sadly no Saint

Oh gosh...I hope my post doesn`t inflame this situation.I truly don`t wish it to and sincerely hope that it is received in the spirit with which it was written.I wish you could all hear my words rather than read them,for you would know my voice is gentle as I speak these lines.A fault of the written word is that they are unfortunately unaccompanied by facial expressions,physical gestures and sounds...so I know from personal experience how innocent remarks can be so easily misinterpreted.

Firstly,when I read the original post I found it to be a concise and beautifully written account of life with this condition...simply that...and personally didn`t feel any part of it leapt out at me enough to evoke any personal beliefs or issues. That is not to say that those amongst us,who are passionate about certain ethics are wrong in airing their views.They so rightly have the privelege to make a comment and put their opinion forwards.

But it saddens me so much when wrangles are publically aired.Perhaps private mail is the kinder alternative for discussing, and hopefully healing misconstrued phrases.I am just trying to be sensitive here to all involved,including those people who may be hanging around in the background,plucking up the courage to join us.

This site is my sanctuary...and whilst I accept there are bound to be confrontational issues,and human nature drives each and every one of us into a situation where ,if we feel "wronged" we need to put it right.. we so often behave rashly,forgivably so.

Vicky,I have to hold my hand up and say that I am guilty of not fighting the PD cause until it affected me.My family,too,whilst being compassionate to others,be it poverty,disease,loneliness...whatever,PD didn`t feature in their minds until I brought it into the home.This is not a reflection of selfishness.It is simply life and I so admire your depths of belief and your courage to stand up and fight for them.I too ,as a teacher was upfront with my children,they monitored my handwriting and gave me marks out of 10 after I had written the date on the chalkboard. Sadly I have since been forced to retire.I am sure we are all in the public eye at some point during the day/week/month but not all individuals are able to deal with this exposure as well as others.
Maybe it is something we can help each other with ,here on this forum.

But as a Christian,I need to say this.I so have the desire to make right all the wrongs in the world,the inner cities,the orphans,the homeless,the drug abusers.I too,wish that we could live a whiter than white life,where all our decisions were pristine,and squeaky clean.But we are not God.We can only do our own little bit as best we can to alter some small part of the world,and that is being realistic.And we are all going to keep on making mistakes,and be faced with unsavoury choices at times.That is life.REAL life.

Also ,I must add that at my church a few years ago,we had 2 speakers.They were condemning the use of stem cells.I looked over at my beautiful daughter,an ideal candidate for PD and I was blazing."How could these two healthy people stand up there and brainwash folk with their opinion" was my reaction and I left the meeting.
No...I don`t believe in life being taken simply as a means to help one sector of the public,but scientific progress made with a sensitive and as ethical approach as is possible,is surely not wrong providing there is no suffering.

After all...didn`t God make the biggest sacrice EVER? By allowing the untold suffering of His beloved Son...when I see the harrowing scenes of a crucifixion I really struggle with this issue.
Vicky...I still as a parent find it hard to get my head round that one.

Finally,and sorry..I didn`t mean to say as much as this,whilst I believe in life,all life...the best quality of life that one can have....I will also shock some folk by admitting this.
I will fight to the bitter end with this disease...but one thing is for sure.When the quality of my life is no longer evident,I have made up my mind that THAT is the time I will "go home."
This too is against the Christian grain...but I believe that actions ..any actions...committed with the most loving,best of intentions,are to be forgiven,accepted,respected.

Yes..I am proud to have a faith in God ,but I know too,that being a Christian does not make me able to fix it all,behave always in a saintly manner,be all things to all folk,make me whiter than white.And it scares me,that those who don`t have a belief,may perceive those who do in a bad light,if we project this image that our lives and thoughts are untainted.They are SO not.The bible is my blue print for my day to day life...but hell...it`s a struggle at times.And I fail so miserably...so often.

I am human.

x
steffi 001 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote