View Single Post
Old 04-20-2011, 11:39 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default I have trigeminal neuropathy

It overlaps a bit, from my understanding. I had both Type 1 and Type 2. Here is a paper that defines them the best, by a leader in the field.
http://thejns.org/doi/pdf/10.3171/foc.2005.18.5.4
These are the classifications that are used by the Trigeminal Neuralgia Association as well as the leading book in this field, "Striking Back..."
I eventually had MVD surgery, which took care of the Type 1, but the Type 2remained. I believe that somewhere in that paper they say that Type 2 is a result of prolonged Type 1. In addition to blood vessels compressing my nerve, I have significant cranial arachnoiditis, or scarring of the arachnoid layer, which was wrapped tightly around the nerve.
It seems that the different types are classified by the symptoms and the causes.
My doctors are not thoroughly up to speed on these classifications (they are a bit "old school", although my neurosurgeon knows of the Type 1 Type 2 definitions), so they have called it Trigeminal Neuralgia; Trigeminal Neuropathy; TN Type 2; and Atypical Facial Pain, all through my medical records. Confusing, right?
I have not heard the term "Sensory" included in the diagnosis before. Can you explain what it feels like to you?
I hope that I am not being too confusing, but the paper named above should help.
Welcome,
Lily

Last edited by Mylastnerve; 04-20-2011 at 11:55 AM. Reason: bad link
Mylastnerve is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote