View Single Post
Old 03-04-2007, 04:39 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Wow! What a story you have and welcome!
I used to also be on tons of pain meds, but luckily I am in a pain recession where the pain is not as bad as it was back then. Right now I have my pain under control, to an extent, with gobs of muscle relaxants. The pain meds weren't working for me and the docs around here won't give pain meds to those with FM. Don't ask, I don't know why either. So far I haven't needed them as I have in the past, but who knows about the future.
I have also separated from family and friends. It is just too hard to explain why I can't go out on certain days and why I don't socialize much anymore. It is just too exhausting. On days where I have to, I sit there and try to be "normal" and infuse Diet Coke like it is going out of style and bring extra meds for the occasion. I also have agoraphobia so I gotta keep up on it or I go nuts inside. Of course the Diet Coke doesn't help things, but it keeps me "up" until I can finally bail.
Okay, back on track here. When I was on pain meds, trying to explain why was a nightmare since most people have never heard of fibromyalgia. After a while I was just telling family members I have a form of Rheumatoid Arthritis, which isn't totally wrong.
As for the drug seekers of the family, I used to hide my pain killers and shut the bedroom door, when my ex-brother-in-law used to come over. I used to have those long bottles of Vicodins from the pharmacy so they stick out like a sore thumb if I had left them on my bedside table. Unfortunately Vicodins were his drug of choice to get his hands on, so I had no choice but to hide them. Somehow he used to wander upstairs to use the bathroom up there when there was one off the kitchen. When I would realize where he went, I would immediately get upstairs and see if things were out of place. Gosh he made me nervous. Luckily I went on the Duragesic Patch and that wasn't a problem anymore. Also, my sister-in-law divorced his behind and I haven't seen him in ages!
So you see, you definitely aren't alone in this!
Again welcome to the family!

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. -- Goethe

Diagnoses: FM, Sciatica, Rosacea, Piriformis Syndrome, SI joint disfunction, Joint Facet Syndrome L3-L5, Pinched Nerve (somewhere on the left side), Depression, Anxiety and Bipolar II

fiberowendy2000 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote