Old 04-20-2011, 01:20 PM
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

Very good point..

I think that the "cookie cutter" PT or "standard" PT protocol for us is a big problem.

In the past so many have said they tried PT and it didn't work or made them worse,, I always wondered if they had poor PTs or the cookie cutter/standard stuff to strengthen . strengthen...

When the nerves & muscles are getting bad signals or cut off blood flow - we just won't respond like a "normal" PT patient would.

It must be specific for each person.

modalities to reduce the pain levels should be the first on the list. heat, ice, massage, ultrasound, IF stim, low level laser, trigger point work...

No weights , No bands until pain is way down as well as any other symptoms that could be related.

No forced stretches - as in trying to push as far as you can go
gentle passive stretches should work better for us in the long run

my rant/vent too...

and
Even if you do get some good PT and have some good results , don't expect a month or 2 to be all done, you have to keep up with the home/self care. The more you hurt the longer it will take , but if you can see small improvements and no increases in pain , then you know you are on the right track.
And it will probably be a life long lifestyle thing to be aware of.

We all slip back into just getting by, I do it myself, neglecting the self care stuff, start to get sore spots, sore elbows, hands/fingers start to not respond as well , hit more wrong keys../.

In fact I need to go do some soon, need to get back to doing it every morning.
"Thanks for this!" says:
mspennyloafer (04-21-2011)