View Single Post
Old 04-20-2011, 01:23 PM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default Dyskinesia

Hi Lindy,
Started a new thread as you suggested, so as not to hijack Rick's thread. The Dystonia Society defines dystonia as:
"Dystonia is a common neurological movement disorder characterised by sustained and involuntary muscle contractions or muscle spasms. These spasms can cause twisting, repetitive movements or abnormal postures and are sometimes accompanied by tremor."
The more questions you ask, the more others raise their heads. The Medical Dictionary has a series of dyskinesias:
"dyskinesia /dys·ki·ne·sia/ (-kĭ-ne´zhah) distortion or impairment of voluntary movement, as in tic or spasm.dyskinet´ie.

biliary dyskinesia derangement of the filling and emptying mechanism of the gallbladder.
dyskinesia intermit´tens intermittent disability of the limbs due to impaired circulation.
orofacial dyskinesia facial movements resembling those of tardive dyskinesia, seen in elderly, edentulous, demented patients.
primary ciliary dyskinesia any of a group of hereditary syndromes characterized by delayed or absent mucociliary clearance from the airways, often accompanied by lack of motion of sperm.
tardive dyskinesia an iatrogenic disorder of involuntary repetitive movements of facial, buccal, oral, and cervical muscles, induced by long-term use of antipsychotic agents, sometimes persisting after withdrawal of the agent"

I suffer from what I have always called dyskinesia. This is writhing around, unable to keep still, impossible to write, or do anything intricate. The constant movement wears me out, and I get very hot and perspire. It is difficult to have a meal with raging DK, and the people sitting next to me are advised to wear their raincoats!!! The drug amantadine is prescribed to calm it down, and it works reasonably well for about 6 months and then loses its effectiveness.

Blue Dalia,
Interesting your DK starts when you increase your dose of comptan/levodopa, which is more support for the theory that DK is cauised by levodopa, not agonist or others. You don't take an agonist ?
Ron