View Single Post
Old 04-20-2011, 10:55 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cath1 View Post
I went to see my neurosurgeon today, called and described the pain, he sent me for xrays. unfortunately by the time I got to the hospital and xrays, he was called into emergency surgery, but his surgical nurse looked over my xrays and examined me. She thinks that everything still seems to be in the proper place on my xrays, although there is no fusion or bone growth at all yet. But she said she will have the dr. review them after to make sure everything is ok. In her opinion I slept wrong and wants me to check my pillows and posture to make sure that I am sleeping at a 'neutral neck' position. perhaps I pinched something sleeping wrong.

They told me if the pain gets worse to come back into the hospital tomorrow to see the dr., othewise I have a followup appt. next tuesday.

(I'm not allowed to have PT yet, I'm still only 7 weeks post op.)
I think you are probably okay. I had little quirks like that too. In fact I am over 3 years post C5-6 fusion w/plate and for the last 4 months am getting very discrete focal pain over the plate. Flexion/extension xrays showed entirely intact hardware and no motion so I am relieved (the CRPS is another issue). Regarding your xrays, you would not necessarily show evidence of bony fusion for many weeks, more like months or even years (although fusion is solid), depending on the type of graft done (PEEK cage vs. cadaver graft, etc.). And the fact that you didn't get a midnight call to immediatly return to the hospital speaks volumes to the likelihood that your xrays were unremarkable once reviewed by the hospital radiologist and were commensurate with your clinical presentation. Scary though!
Dubious is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote