View Single Post
Old 04-21-2011, 05:07 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi Sarah

First, i am so sorry you are dealing with this disorder too! I have been using the patch for 9 months. I started on 50mcg, and last month my dr boosted it up to 75mcg because my pain was up and wasnt coming down. I hadnt took notice of whether or not brands were more or less effective. But then i changed stores a few months ago and noticed that my new brand did not have the medicine visible in the pouch...it was a flat piece of adhesive mylar. So i didnt think it was as effective but then i thought maybe it was in my head. So i dont know. Sorry i am of no help. just wanted you to know someone was thinking about your question.
Hugs
Lori

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swatgen27 View Post
Hello everyone,
For the last two years I have been on the fentanyl patch for pain management. My dose has been 37mcg per hour and it has really worked put well in giving me the ability to be mobile.
The patch brands that I have been using the past two years are the Watsons (25mcg) and the sandoz brand (12mcg).
Two weeks ago I went to refill my patches I was given the mylan brand in the 12 size. The mylan brand was extremely ineffective and my pain levels went to such high levels I couldn't stand it. I did some research and found the sandoz brand delivered 2.1mg over 72 hours and the Mylan deliver 1.28mg over 72 hours so I found quanitive evidence as far as an explanation for how badly I felt. This issue just seems so bizarre to me... Has anyone else that is or has been on the patch had a simular issue? I ended up having to increase my dose to 48mcg per hour while on the mylan brand. I don't understand how the pharmacy can say that the two brands are the same when the medication vary's so much. This whole ordeal has made me feel very vunerable as I couldnt function without the sandoz brand as my pain levels were that high. Any thoughts on this complexing issue will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Sarah
Swatgen27 (04-21-2011)