View Single Post
Old 03-04-2007, 10:09 AM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

With an election just ahead, it's going to become a big issue again. There will likely be another vote in the senate sometime soon, and if vetoed again with no override, it will continue on to the 2008 elections.

I feel that the biggest problem with conversations like these (and they have come a long way - i can remember a time when a comment from the Christian perspective would have been booed off the forum) - is that we categorize people and have of course become polarized and hostile toward each other in our society.

In reality, there are many people who are in favor of stem cell research and still call themselves conservative and vice versa. There are many people of faith, who are either in favor of it, or face indecision and reservations. One can only be true to themselves and feel as they do.

Assuming people who are in favor of stem cell research are aetheists, which Vicky has clearly stated was a mistake to do and I don't use this for anything but an example. is not unusual because of how we feel we have to cast our lots for either one entire socio-political view or another - package style.

There are many independents out there, who do not and will not be categorized.

One thing that does worry me, tho, is the race for profits if the law changes on this research. As I have been for quite some time, I 'm very concerned that researchers will become engrossed in cell therapy research and come up with nothing less for people like us who need something now.... Like pump delivery systems to carry us over.

Paula

"Time is not neutral for those who have pd or for those who will get it."
paula_w is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote